Saturday, February 4, 2012

Get Your Superbowl Healthy Snack Game Plan

Personally, I plan on treating myself to a few indulgences tomorrow during the big game.  I've been very healthy all week--I even lost two pounds--so I feel very deserving of a treat or two.  However, it's always good to have a few healthy options in your game plan.  And what better way to ensure you stay healthy than to prepare the healthy food yourself.  I enjoy going to family gatherings and taking on the roll of bringing the healthy dishes or snacks--it's fun to surprise people after they're raving over my recipes by saying, "I'm glad you like it--it's also fat free."  Ah, the look on people's faces when they learn that being healthy can be tasty is priceless.

I dug up a few healthy super bowl snack recipes for my readers (who are growing in numbers--thanks guys!!):

  1. Multi-Bean Chili, from Eating Well magazine, is a delicious vegan dish, that even your meat eating friends will love.  Only 294 calories per serving and packed with 16 grams of protein.
  2. Smoky Corn Black Bean Pizza, is also from Eating Well magazine, and although it's not vegan, it's sure to be a hit.  A little bit higher on the calorie side, but with 14 grams of protein it's worth it if your a vegetarian like I am, and not about to dive into the buffalo wings.
  3. Spiced Pecans, from TasteofHome.com, are quick and easy to make and only 106 calories for a quarter cup.
  4. Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip, from the Huffington Post, is a great appetizer (not that you really eat anything other than appetizers during the super bowl) that's only 59 calories!  Chips and dip are my weakness, but with this dip, I wouldn't feel quite as weak.
  5. Zucchini Fries, also from the Huffington Post, are one healthy snack I cannot wait to try.  Get this: 181 calories for ELEVEN fries!  Not to mention the boost of Vitamin C!
  6. Baby Portobello, Avocado, and Asparagus Sliders, from Food.com, weren't advertised as necessarily healthy, but just look at the ingredients!  I'm on a big mushroom kick (a high protein alternative to meat), and these are yet another vegetarian (or vegan if you leave out the cheese) dish even carnivores will love.
  7. Mini Turkey Burgers, from Health.com, will satisfy the meat-lovers yearning for burgers.  When I used to eat poultry, I swore turkey burgers tasted just like hamburgers, and for 169 calories each, any difference you can taste is worth it!
  8. Calico Corn Salsa, from TasteofHome.com, is aligned with an old weight watchers slogan my mom used to say, "Your plate should be colorful," and this dip is just that!  High in fiber and only 107 calories for half a cup.
  9. Fudgy Chocolate Brownies, also from Health.com, made the impossible (guilt-free brownies) possible!  With only 132 calories each, who could resist!  All thanks to unsweetened cocoa.
  10. Peppered Peanut Brittle sounds like an interesting one considering the added ingredient of pepper!  Not to mention, this little desert is only 105 calories!
What are you planning to make on game day?  Any tips for resisting unhealthy urges?

No comments:

Post a Comment